Pages

Saturday, February 14, 2009

Lost in Translation

The other day C was about to give E a bath. He asked me if the water was too hot, I checked and wasn't sure, but I told him that E will let you know if it is. He put E in the tub and started pouring water over her. She put her hand up and said "Maam", which sounds almost like mom. "See", I said, "she thinks it's too warm". "Maam, means warm?", C asked. I thought he knew this since she's been saying it for a while. It used to be baam, but she changed it to maam, which is her way of saying varm, the Swedish word for warm. "Uh oh", he said. "Last time I gave her a bath", he continued, "she kept saying maam and I told her, no, mom isn't here, and kept pouring the water over her." He felt so bad, but I must admit I found it hilarious. I guess there are many more moments like this to come in a household where 2 out of 3 are bilingual...

1 comment:

  1. Too funny!! Well, at least she wasn't saying it was HOT! :) Sounds like C is gonna have to learn some Swedish. :D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...