Pages

Thursday, January 1, 2009

Now I lay me down to sleep...

"If you like to talk to tomatoes, if a squash can make you smile..." =)

C and I usually pray before we go to sleep. Most of the time he leads us in prayer, but sometimes it is me. Lately I've felt that we've gotten caught in a patter that I don't feel very comfortable with. We usually start with asking for forgiveness and thank the Lord for things, which is good, but in our case it feels more like the obligatory beginning before we start to ask God for things. We're not really asking for "wants", more for "needs", but I still feel like we just ask and ask and ask. Like I said, not a pattern I feel very comfortable with.

"If you like to waltz with potatoes up and down the produce aisle... (Do we have a show for you)"

E got 2 new DVD's from Nanny (grandma / farmor) for Christmas. Or was it for her birthday? I can't remember... anyways...
One of them was "Boz the bear" that I've never heard of. E loved it and is very sad right now b/c she snapped it in half the other day. As we were watching this movie it struck me that when the twins prayed before bedtime everything started with "thank you". They never asked for a thing. I told C and his reply was... "huh". He kind of gave it a thought and then he went on to whatever he was doing.
The other DVD was... (have you guessed it yet?)... "Veggietales". It was one about trusting God. The main story is about Gideon, but there is also a story about George Mueller. He started an orphanage, but they didn't have any breakfast for the next morning. So they prayed. This is were C and I would probably have asked for some food if we were in this situation. But not George. He thanked God for the food He was about to provide. I mentioned this to C and that night our prayer was a little different. There was still some asking, but I think we are allowed to ask God for things. It's just not supposed to be the main thing of every prayer. And our prayer that night was more about thanking God, not only for what we have, but for what we are about to recieve. After all, God is providing for us and we just have to trust in Him.

Isn't it amazing what we can learn from kids movies?
"
Broccoli, celery, gotta be..."
(This song is the best. You should hear C and I sing along to it in the car...)

Happy New Year! Gott Nytt År!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...